Friday 22 November 2013

Ooh to have some more spare time!

I have sooo many photographic ideas that I want to try out at the minute that I am finding it really frustrating that I don't have enough spare time to do them all. The reason...life! More specifically my job, my kids...and everything in between.

Don't get me wrong, my job is interesting and exciting (a little too exciting at times with things going wrong just days before we are due to launch a big new offering to the television viewing public), and I adore my kids and would do anything for them.

I suppose this post is just me pouting my lips like a toddler and stamping my feet wanting more time for me and my camera to get out and about. I'll calm down over the weekend when I've relaxed after a hectic week at work...honest!

Anyway, last weekend I did manage to get out with my camera...and my eldest son for a few hours. We headed out in our campervan to Milford-On-Sea in Hampshire for lunch at the Needles Eye cafe and then a wander along the beach. Surprisingly, for mid-November it was actually very mild and calm. We didn't even need to zip our coats up, and the sea was really flat.

I took my Canon 70D with me, but also took along my old Canon 1000D for my son to take some pictures if he wanted to. We walked from the car park at the cafe out along Hurst Spit which leads out to Hurst Castle. We didn't make it the whole way as my son started complaining about walking so far and all he wanted to do was clamber over the rocks that make up the sea defence.

I had recently bought a Lee Big-Stopper ND filter and thought this was the perfect chance to see what I could do with it. Now when I say I bought a Big-Stopper, that bit is very true, but I haven't managed to but the holder system for it yet, and it is too big to fit in my Cokin P-Series filter holder. So, there I was with my camera on the tripod, set up for a 25-second exposure at f/11, and I was stood crouching over the top of the camera holding the Big-Stopper against the front of the lens trying not to move too much and keep from making the camera move and ruin the photo.

It may sound like a bodged attempt at doing this, but I really am quite happy with the results. I am now really looking forward to getting out again (whenever that might be) and doing more work with the Big-Stopper. Filter holder will be ordered very soon.

I'd love to know what you think of these images.


AS usual, these have been added to my website where you can buy copies as canvas prints:
www.kevinbrownephotography.com

Many thanks for looking (and I'd love to hear your feedback).

Kevin.

No comments:

Post a Comment